The PearlFection Blog
If you had a dental emergency, how would you handle it? At Pearlfection Dentistry, our team of eight dentists provides the finest emergency care in the Frederick, MD, area. Plus, they want their patients to know dental first aid to stabilize urgent situations before receiving in-office help.
What is a dental emergency?
A dental emergency is a very urgent oral health matter involving extreme pain, bleeding, infection, loss of oral function or fracture of teeth, restorations, or tooth replacements. As children seem accident-prone, you'll be happy to know we have a pediatric dentist on staff to handle your youngster's particular needs.
Our staff urges you to call our Frederick, MD, office right away when you or a loved one needs emergency dental care. Quick action can spare the life of a tooth, avoid additional damage, and optimize recovery. We are on call to give you immediate advice to stabilize the situation and to give you a same-day appointment as needed.
What to do
Here are some examples of common dental emergencies and suggestions for first aid:
1. Knocked out tooth. It can be replanted if your dentist sees you within 30 minutes of injury, says the Journal of Endodontics. Before you go to Pearlfection Dentistry, rinse the tooth with water, hold it by the crown, and place the roots into the socket. If you cannot do this, put the tooth in a sealed container with milk or water and carry it to the office.
2. Oral laceration. Apply direct pressure with a 4x4 pad or clean cloth. If bleeding does not stop within 15 minutes, go to the emergency room at the nearest hospital.
3. Broken tooth, filling, or crown. Save the pieces to bring to the office. Your dentist may bond them back in place or repair your tooth in another way.
4. Toothache. You may have an abscess or deep cavity. Rinse your mouth with warm salt water, and take ibuprofen for the pain. Ice your jaw to control swelling as necessary. Contact our office for an appointment.
5. Dislocated or fractured jaw. This injury requires immediate medical attention at your hospital ER.
Keep our number handy
At Pearlfection Dentistry in Frederick, MD, we take emergency dental care seriously. Don't hesitate to call us immediately when a sudden, severe problem threatens your oral health. Our general, cosmetic and restorative dentists are Dr. Jared Lawson, Dr. EJ Stringer, Dr. Tammira Badakhshan, Dr. Nikta Pashai, periodontist Dr. Ashley Seals, prosthodontist, Dr. Amos Chi, oral surgeon, Dr. Brian Chang, endodontist, Dr. Pratik Patel, Dr. Leo Perez DDS and MD (Board Certified Oral Surgeon and General Surgeon), Dr. Leslie Oakes DDS - Board Certified Pediatric Dentist and orthodontist, Dr. Stephen Tigani.
You will get the quick, accurate, and caring response you need. Phone (301) 663-5550. We are 45 minutes from Washington, DC, and 45 minutes from Baltimore. We serve the areas of Hagerstown and Germantown, MD.
Would you like to look more youthful? Your Urbana MD dentists at Pearlfection Dentistry can help you achieve your goal with Botox treatments.
The advantages of Urbana Botox treatments
Botox injections may be a good option for you if want to:
- Decrease fine lines and wrinkles: During Botox injections, a tiny amount of the botulinum toxin is injected into your fine lines and wrinkles. The toxin temporarily blocks nerve impulses to the facial muscles, preventing them from moving when you make a facial expression. Blocking the impulses allows the skin over the muscles to smooth out and makes lines and wrinkles much less noticeable.
- Look more energetic: Do people ask you if you're tired or angry even though you're well-rested and in a perfectly good mood? Vertical lines between your eyes may be prompting the comments. Botox smooths these lines, offering an instant boost to your appearance.
- Wear forehead-baring hairstyles: There's no need to cover horizontal forehead furrows with bangs. In fact, after Botox treatment, you won't mind showing off your newly smooth forehead.
- Make crow's feet and lines around your lips virtually disappear: Crow's feet and lip lines can also make you look older than you feel. Fortunately, Botox treatments can tackle these lines too.
- Try a simple, reversible treatment: Botox injections only take a few minutes and won't change your face permanently. Results usually last three to six months, although you can extend your results by scheduling regular follow-up appointments.
Although your dentist may not be the first healthcare professional that comes to mind when you think about Botox injections, dentists are uniquely qualified to offer this cosmetic treatment. Dentists work with the muscles, nerves, and tissues in the face and neck every day.
They understand how to precisely place injections for optimum results and minimal pain. Best of all, you can combine Urbana Botox injections with a dental cleaning or teeth whitening treatment when you visit the Urbana area dental office.
Minimize your fine lines and wrinkles with Botox treatment at Pearlfection Dentistry. The Frederick MD office serves the entire Urbana MD area and can be reached by calling (301) 663-5550.
Dental implants offer a new approach to tooth restoration. Thanks to the innovative implant process, it's possible to create a brand new synthetic tooth that's firmly rooted in your jawbone. Your Frederick, MD dentist at Pearlfection Dentistry can help you decide if dental implants are a good option for you.
What dental implants can do for your smile
Like any good restoration method, dental implants fill the gaps in your smile. A full smile is essential to your self-esteem and your oral health. When you have missing teeth, whether you've lost one tooth or all of them, you may find yourself reluctant to socialize or explore new career opportunities. Dental implants give you brand new teeth that look and function just like the teeth you lost. Your new tooth will allow you to chew normally and comfortably and will prevent your other teeth from shifting.
Each new tooth includes the implant, a connector called an abutment and a crown. Your implants serve as the roots of your new teeth and are attached to crowns with the abutments. Crowns are restorations that replace the visible parts of your teeth.
How dental implants work
During your first implant visit to the Frederick MD dental office, you'll undergo minor oral surgery to implant tiny titanium posts in your jawbone. Bio-compatible titanium bonds to your jawbone and ensures that your new roots are firmly attached to the bone. Of course, you'll receive a local anesthetic before the procedure begins and won't feel any pain.
Once you've healed and the implants have bonded to your jawbone, the abutments will be added to the tops of the implants. At this stage, your Frederick, MD dentist will also make an impression of your mouth that will be used for crown creation. You'll return to the office in a few weeks for the final step in the process - the attachment of the crowns to the implants.
You'll be able to eat a variety of foods with your new teeth and won't have to worry about a loss of biting power, which can be an issue after tooth replacement. In addition to enhancing your appearance, dental implants also help keep your jawbone strong and prevent the bone from shrinking.
Your new implants become a permanent part of your jawbone as soon as bonding occurs. With regular brushing and flossing, you can expect your dental implants to last your entire life.
Are you ready for a brand new smile with the help of dental implants? Call Pearlfection Dentistry in Frederick MD at (301) 663-5550 to schedule your appointment.
How Invisalign treatment from your dentists in Urbana and Frederick, MD, can help your smile
Have you been thinking about orthodontics? If so, you and your smile need to discover the latest type of orthodontic treatment, Invisalign. Instead of brackets and wires, this revolutionary orthodontic treatment uses plastic appliances called aligners.
Located in Urbana and Frederick, MD, and led by general, cosmetic, and restorative dentists, Dr. Jared Lawson, Dr. EJ Stringer, Dr. Tammira Badakhshan, and Dr. Nikta Pashai, oral surgeons Dr. Brian Chang and Dr. Leo Perez, periodontist Dr. Ashley Seals, prosthodontist Dr. Amos Chi, orthodontist Dr. Stephen Tigani, pediatric dentist Dr. Leslie Oakes, and endodontist Dr. Patik Patel, PearlFection Dentistry offers a wide variety of dental services, including Invisalign orthodontic treatment to help your smile—read on to learn more.
What Invisalign can do for you
Your Invisalign treatment begins with your first set of aligners, which you wear for two weeks, then you move up to a new set of aligners, which you wear for another two weeks. You keep advancing to a new set of aligners every two weeks until your treatment is complete. Invisalign treatment takes between nine and fifteen months, and you will see your dentist every few weeks to monitor your progress.
Invisalign can treat many of the same issues as conventional brackets and wires, including:
- Overbite and underbite
- Crossbite and open bite
- Tooth rotation and crowding
- Closing gaps between your teeth
So, why choose Invisalign? Due to how the aligners are made of clear plastic, Invisalign offers discreet treatment that is virtually undetectable to the people around you. All those people will see is your beautiful smile!
Invisalign is also comfortable, because the aligners are smooth, with no sharp parts to irritate your soft tissue.
You can also remove your Invisalign aligners, allowing you to continue enjoying the foods you love and maintain your previous oral hygiene routine.
Interested? Give us a call
You and your smile deserve to enjoy the benefits of Invisalign orthodontic treatment. Now, you can achieve a straight, beautiful smile quicker and easier than you’ve ever thought possible, thanks to Invisalign. To learn more about what Invisalign can do for you and your smile, call one of Pearlfection Dentistry's offices in either Urbana or Frederick, MD, today:
- Urbana - (301) 831-8303
- Frederick - (301) 663-5550
Saying 'cheese!' to the camera isn't easy for everyone. Poorly aligned jaws, crooked, crowded and missing teeth, or a bad bite can be embarrassing. Located in Urbana and Frederick, MD, and led by general, cosmetic, and restorative dentists, Dr. Jared Lawson, Dr. EJ Stringer, Dr. Tammira Badakhshan, and Dr. Nikta Pashai, oral surgeons Dr. Brian Chang and Dr. Leo Perez, periodontist Dr. Ashley Seals, prosthodontist Dr. Amos Chi, orthodontist Dr. Stephen Tigani, pediatric dentist Dr. Leslie Oakes, and endodontist Dr. Patik Patel, PearlFection Dentistry has the solution—orthodontic treatment.
Orthodontics corrects jaw and teeth alignment caused by various issues, including thumb-sucking, injury, or genetic inheritance. The optimal age to receive braces is between seven and 14 because facial structures are still developing. However, adults of all ages are still able to undergo orthodontic treatment at any point.
Types of Braces
- Metal Braces: These high-grade stainless steel braces come with bands that attach to the back molars and smaller metal brackets that are cemented to the front surfaces of teeth.
- Ceramic Braces: Similar to metal braces, these front-side teeth brackets are made of a translucent ceramic material, making them invisible to some degree.
- Lingual Braces: These braces are placed on the tongue side of the teeth and work like metal braces and ceramic braces, but in a more conspicuous way because of their unique position.
Caring for Your Smile After Orthodontic Treatment
- Wear retainers to preserve proper teeth alignment and disinfect retainers for optimal oral health.
- Avoid certain food items to completing treatment, like extra crunchy or chewy food.
- Get whitening treatment about a month after having braces removed to enhance the appearance of your teeth.
- Create a customized oral health care plan with your Frederick or Urbana dentist to get a thorough cleaning and check-up.
- Make sure to floss your teeth after meals and brush your teeth at least twice a day.
Would You Like to Speak With Your Dentist?
Orthodontic treatment restores a person's aesthetics, improves their self-esteem, and upgrades oral functionality. For more information on orthodontics, call PearlFection Dentistry in Frederick, MD, at (301) 663-5550, or for their Urbana office at (301) 831-8303.
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.