Caring for Your Smile after Orthodontic Treatment
Saying 'cheese!' to the camera isn't easy for everyone. Poorly aligned jaws, crooked, crowded and missing teeth, or a bad bite can be embarrassing. Located in Urbana and Frederick, MD, and led by general, cosmetic, and restorative dentists, Dr. Jared Lawson, Dr. EJ Stringer, Dr. Tammira Badakhshan, and Dr. Nikta Pashai, oral surgeons Dr. Brian Chang and Dr. Leo Perez, periodontist Dr. Ashley Seals, prosthodontist Dr. Amos Chi, orthodontist Dr. Stephen Tigani, pediatric dentist Dr. Leslie Oakes, and endodontist Dr. Patik Patel, PearlFection Dentistry has the solution—orthodontic treatment.
Orthodontics corrects jaw and teeth alignment caused by various issues, including thumb-sucking, injury, or genetic inheritance. The optimal age to receive braces is between seven and 14 because facial structures are still developing. However, adults of all ages are still able to undergo orthodontic treatment at any point.
Types of Braces
- Metal Braces: These high-grade stainless steel braces come with bands that attach to the back molars and smaller metal brackets that are cemented to the front surfaces of teeth.
- Ceramic Braces: Similar to metal braces, these front-side teeth brackets are made of a translucent ceramic material, making them invisible to some degree.
- Lingual Braces: These braces are placed on the tongue side of the teeth and work like metal braces and ceramic braces, but in a more conspicuous way because of their unique position.
Caring for Your Smile After Orthodontic Treatment
- Wear retainers to preserve proper teeth alignment and disinfect retainers for optimal oral health.
- Avoid certain food items to completing treatment, like extra crunchy or chewy food.
- Get whitening treatment about a month after having braces removed to enhance the appearance of your teeth.
- Create a customized oral health care plan with your Frederick or Urbana dentist to get a thorough cleaning and check-up.
- Make sure to floss your teeth after meals and brush your teeth at least twice a day.
Would You Like to Speak With Your Dentist?
Orthodontic treatment restores a person's aesthetics, improves their self-esteem, and upgrades oral functionality. For more information on orthodontics, call PearlFection Dentistry in Frederick, MD, at (301) 663-5550, or for their Urbana office at (301) 831-8303.