What to Do in a Dental Emergency
If you had a dental emergency, how would you handle it? At Pearlfection Dentistry, our team of eight dentists provides the finest emergency care in the Frederick, MD, area. Plus, they want their patients to know dental first aid to stabilize urgent situations before receiving in-office help.
What is a dental emergency?
A dental emergency is a very urgent oral health matter involving extreme pain, bleeding, infection, loss of oral function or fracture of teeth, restorations, or tooth replacements. As children seem accident-prone, you'll be happy to know we have a pediatric dentist on staff to handle your youngster's particular needs.
Our staff urges you to call our Frederick, MD, office right away when you or a loved one needs emergency dental care. Quick action can spare the life of a tooth, avoid additional damage, and optimize recovery. We are on call to give you immediate advice to stabilize the situation and to give you a same-day appointment as needed.
What to do
Here are some examples of common dental emergencies and suggestions for first aid:
1. Knocked out tooth. It can be replanted if your dentist sees you within 30 minutes of injury, says the Journal of Endodontics. Before you go to Pearlfection Dentistry, rinse the tooth with water, hold it by the crown, and place the roots into the socket. If you cannot do this, put the tooth in a sealed container with milk or water and carry it to the office.
2. Oral laceration. Apply direct pressure with a 4x4 pad or clean cloth. If bleeding does not stop within 15 minutes, go to the emergency room at the nearest hospital.
3. Broken tooth, filling, or crown. Save the pieces to bring to the office. Your dentist may bond them back in place or repair your tooth in another way.
4. Toothache. You may have an abscess or deep cavity. Rinse your mouth with warm salt water, and take ibuprofen for the pain. Ice your jaw to control swelling as necessary. Contact our office for an appointment.
5. Dislocated or fractured jaw. This injury requires immediate medical attention at your hospital ER.
Keep our number handy
At Pearlfection Dentistry in Frederick, MD, we take emergency dental care seriously. Don't hesitate to call us immediately when a sudden, severe problem threatens your oral health. Our general, cosmetic and restorative dentists are Dr. Jared Lawson, Dr. EJ Stringer, Dr. Tammira Badakhshan, Dr. Nikta Pashai, periodontist Dr. Ashley Seals, prosthodontist, Dr. Amos Chi, oral surgeon, Dr. Brian Chang, endodontist, Dr. Pratik Patel, Dr. Leo Perez DDS and MD (Board Certified Oral Surgeon and General Surgeon), Dr. Leslie Oakes DDS - Board Certified Pediatric Dentist and orthodontist, Dr. Stephen Tigani.
You will get the quick, accurate, and caring response you need. Phone (301) 663-5550. We are 45 minutes from Washington, DC, and 45 minutes from Baltimore. We serve the areas of Hagerstown and Germantown, MD.