Not sure if your child’s oral routine is up to par? Find out now!
You want your child to maintain the healthiest smile they can, so it’s important that you do your part to keep cavities and other issues at bay. Our Urbana, MD pediatric dentists are also here to help. Find out more about how you and your child should care for their smile.
The minute your child’s teeth come in it’s time to start keeping them clean. Our Urbana dentist can help go through all the instructions and steps necessary to maintain good oral health in your little one. At some point, you can swap out cleaning your baby’s mouth with your finger and start using a toothbrush.
Here are some tips for caring for your child’s growing smile:
- Always choose a child-sized toothbrush that can comfortably and easily fit into their mouths. Opt for soft bristles that will still get your child’s teeth clean but will also be less aggressive on healthy enamel.
- Choose a fluoridated toothpaste that is ADA recommended. Fluoride is a great way to protect child’s teeth from cavities. Child over the age of 6 years old can start getting fluoride treatment.
- Your child should always brush their teeth twice a day. Ideally, these brushing sessions should occur first thing in the morning and right at bedtime. Each time they brush they should shoot for a minimum of 2 minutes. And if you aren’t sure if they are brushing for a full 2 minutes you can set a timer for them.
- It’s also a good idea to replace a toothbrush or a toothbrush head after your child has traveled with it or if your child just got over an illness.
- Even if your child is a great brusher they still need to come in at less twice a year to our Urbana, MD dental office for maintenance care and exams. This is particularly important since your child’s mouth is still developing and sometimes only we are able to pinpoint issues early on when they are simpler to treat.
Pearlfection Dentistry in Urbana, MD is dedicated to making sure that children grow up with beautiful, cavity-free smiles. If it’s time for your child’s six-month dental cleaning then call us today. We will work with your busy schedule to make sure your child always gets the care they deserve.